Jones, the top women’s qualifier, had the lead in the women’s A Final 100 metres, however Crawford managed to catch her just before the line. American Ida Sargent claimed the final podium spot.
Crawford breezed through the heats and went out just trying to have fun on her home course. “The course was fun; it’s the perfect course for us. It’s not too hilly that you can’t train on it all day and it has lots of corners,” said Crawford.
Following the race, she had nothing but praise for her teammate and training partner. “Perianne Jones is a superb athlete. I’m really lucky to be training with her for years, especially this summer. She’s really been pushing our team, making the team faster,” Crawford told SkiTrax.
“My classic skis weren’t running great today. We don’t have our full fleet of race skis here and I’m typically a strong double-poler, so it was fun with some nice big uphills to go against people on classics,” Newell told Trax. “It’s a real treat to ski in real winter conditions. To have this level of racing in October is pretty awesome. We don’t get to do this very often.
Given a chance to race competitively in October and test himself against the Americans was something Kershaw didn’t want to pass up.
“It’s better than a NorAm field. It’s a nice little time trial and it was really cool that the Americans came to train in our backyard,” added the Canadian star. “Andy’s medaled three times on the World Cup and he’s a sprint specialist. Any chance to work out next to him is a super-positive experience.
In the B-final, American Patrick O’Brien defeated Eric Packer, with Canada’s Patrick Stewart-Jones finishing third. The U.S.A. also topped the women’s B final, with Liz Stephen defeating Australia’s Esther Bottomley and Banff’s Heidi Widmer.
About half of Canada’s national team competed in the time trials, which looped around the kilometre-and-a-half track at the NordicCentre.
1. Andrew Newell (USA) 03:36.47
2. Philip Widmer (Can) 03:45.57
3. Devon Kershaw (Can) 03:45.58
4. Skyler Davis (USA) 03:46.35
5. Michael Sinnott (USA) 03:48.05
Full men’s results HERE.
1. Perianne Jones (Can) 04:15.88
2. Chandra Crawford (Can) 04:19.23
3. Alysson Marshall (Can) 04:22.14
4. Ida Sargent (USA) 04:24.71
5. Elizabeth Stephen (USA) 04:25.15
Full women’s results HERE.
Men A-Final: 11:05:58.70
1. Andrew Newell (USA) 0:03:32.10
2. Devon Kershaw (Can) 0:03:35.93
3. Kris Freeman (USA) 0:03:36.57
4. Skyler Davis (USA) 0:03:42.78
Men B-Final: 11:00:58.70
1. Patrick O’Brien (USA) 0:03:50.79
2. Eric Packer (USA) 0:03:51.00
3. Patrick Stewart-Jones (Can) 0:03:51.98
4. Philip Widmer (Can) 0:03:53.09
Women A-Final: 11:15:21
1. Chandra Crawford (Can) 0:04:10.29
2. Perianne Jones (Can) 0:04:10.46
3. Ida Sargent (USA) 0:04:15.92
4. Alysson Marshall (Can) 0:04:26.51
Women B-Final: 11:10:23
1. Elizabeth Stephen (USA) 0:04:21.95
2. Esther Bottomley (Aus) 0:04:22.15
3. Heidi Widmer (Can) 0:04:28.24
4. Jessica Diggins (USA) 0:04:32.13
Full results HERE.