Final podium (l-r): Kircheisen (Ger) 2nd, Demong (USA) 1st, Lamy Cappuis (Fra) 3rd. ©Andrew Canniff/Swix Sport
The USA’s Demong started in bib 8th over 30 seconds back from France’s Jason Lamy Chappuis who had the best jump of the day at 131 meters. Demong had a solid jump of 121 meters and knew his strong cross-country skills put him in contention for a medal in the event. He easily made up the time on the six skiers ahead of him to lead a pack up to Lamy Chappuis before passing him as well and whittling the group down to just himself and Kircheisen.
On the final gradual climb into the stadium Demong proved too much for the Finn – who had just matched Demong’s surge on the final big climb – and he easily skied to victory and the third straight individual event gold medal for the USA at the Nordic World Championships.
Full results here
1. Bill Demong (USA) 23:36.6
2. Bjoern Kircheisen (Ger) 23:49.4
3. Jason Lamy Cappuis (Fra) 24:08.0
4. Janne Ryynaene (Fin) 24:25.6
5. Magnus-H. Moan (Nor) 24:31.7
10. Todd Lodwick (USA) 24:50.1
19. Johnny Spillane (USA) 25:33.8
34. Eric Camerota (USA) 26:42.3
37. Jason Myslicki (Can) 26:50.4