February 11, 2013 (Mora, Minnesota) – Matt Liebsch from Orono, MN and Sarah Max, from Bend, Oregon, won the 58km FR men’s and women’s races respectively as the Vasaloppet USA ski race was moved to a shortened course because of insufficient snow and then was hit with a snowstorm on race day. Andrew Brown and Mary Beth Tuttle won in the 35km race while Dave Chamberlain and Audrey Weber won the 42km Classic race.
Skiers contesting the 58km, 35km and 42km races began by heading into 18-mile per winds as they skied a 13km lap on Knife Lake before heading towards Mora and a downtown finish. During the race heavy snow began to fall making a picturesque ski course, but also created tough skiing conditions.
The first North American male and female finishers in the 58K race will receive a free trip to Sweden to compete in the following year’s Swedish Vasaloppet ski race or receive $1,000 in cash.
Read more in the Kanabec County Times HERE.
1. Matthew E Liebsch (Orono, MN) 1:53:20.0
2. Adam C Swank (Duluth, MN) 2:50
3. Michael D Brothers (Houghton, MI)
4. Nikolai N Anikin (Duluth, MN) 2:52
5. Chris Pappathopoulos (Sun Prairie, WI)
16. Sarah Max (Bend, OR) 3:05
22. Jan Guenther (Mound, MN) 3:09
30. Bonnie W Albrecht (Stillwater, MN) 3:12
Full results HERE.